Anterior Odontoid Fixation according to Apfelbaum
The Apfelbaum odontoid system is a fixation technique in the treatment of odontoid fractures. The advantage of the Apfelbaum technique lies in preserving the full range of motion of the segment and in the minimized approach.
- Immediate stability
- Often eliminates need for external orthosis
- Preserves normal C1-C2 motion
- Highest fusion rate
- Rapid return to work and normal lifestyle
- Odontoid screw, partially threaded, made of Titanium alloy
- Special instruments for minimal access
- Odontoid retractor blades and counter retractor based on CCR Caspar cervical retractor
- Odontoid guiding sleeve for save preparation and precise implantation
Direct anterior screw fixation for recent and remote odontoid fractures, J Neurosurg 93: 227-236, 2000; Apfelbaum RI, Lonser RR, Veres R, Casey A
The Treatment of Unstable Odontoid Fractures, Backup 01-2003; Ronald I. Apfelbaum, M.D.
- Fixation of recent odontoid fractures
- Type II odontoid fracture
- Some high type III odontoid fractures